[opendtv] Re: Digital radios outstrip analogue

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 18:27:28 -0500

At 2:30 PM -0800 3/1/05, Mitch Cardwell wrote:
>Because Craig you keep thinking that we can shut off one system and
>fire up another with no transition. At least the radio transition
>doesn't take any additional spectrum.

Excuse me?

What radio transition?

They are ADDING a new service that requires a new receiver. Do you
seriously believe that the radio broadcasters will turn off analog
services so that they can obsolete hundreds of millions of working
radios to offer more digital radio channels?

I'm willing to bet that the take-up rate for broadcast digital radio
will be a tiny fraction of that for Serius and XM.

If we had a unified digital broadcast service in the TV spectrum it
would give people good reasons to buy receivers, and we might
actually be able to turn off analog radio some day.

Radio is under little pressure since they only use a tiny fraction of
the bandwidth used by TV broadcasters.