[opendtv] Re: Digital radios outstrip analogue

  • From: "Donald Koeleman" <donald.koeleman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 14:05:31 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: <jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 12:53 PM
Subject: [opendtv] Re: Digital radios outstrip analogue

Hello,

Dermot Nolan wrote:
>> And, of course, DVB-H is probably better suited for battery operated
>> digital radios...

Donald Koeleman replied:
> And if you would be even more of a heretic, it wouldn't be DVB-H,
> but one of the Asian DMB technologies...

Do you think of Dermot as a heretic ?  ;-)

D: He called for herecy...

I think that the answer is: neither.
The real replacement for DAB would be DRM (Digital Radio
Mondiale, not Digital Rights Management):  http://www.drm.org/

D: Perhaps, but according to their website they still see themselves as a
mere replacement for existing (and rapidly diminishing) shortwave audio
broadcasts.

Dermot will love this quote:
"The robustness of the DRM signal can be chosen to match different
propagation conditions."

D: Sure, but as Bert keeps pointing out, so is VSB;-)

DRM was designed to replace AM radio, especially the long-
distance short-wave radio, where fading due to multipath
reception is an annoying problem. One former colleague, who
used to work on DAB, has now moved to another company to
work on DRM. Who knows, this may finally be the radio that
works well everywhere.

D: sure a few stations that are receivable everywhere...

I like radio, it has better pictures...

D: I like mine with pictures, so DRM won't cut it...

Best regards,
-- Jeroen

| From:     Jeroen H. Stessen   | E-mail:  Jeroen.Stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx |
| Building: SFJ-5.22 Eindhoven  | Deptmt.: Philips Applied Technologies |
| Phone:    ++31.40.2732739     | Visiting & mail address: Glaslaan 2 |
| Mobile:   ++31.6.44680021     | NL 5616 LW Eindhoven, the Netherlands |