[opendtv] Re: Digital radios outstrip analogue

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 10:17:33 -0500

At 10:34 PM -0500 3/1/05, Tom Barry wrote:
>And having over analyzed it by now I note that my own post literally
>suggests that, if folks were buying a portable radio needing a rotor
>antenna, they would purchase it somewhere besides on a 30 foot mast.
>
>I suppose that is also true.  ;-)

Perhaps I was reading too much into your emoticon.

I thought that you were making a tongue--in-cheek statement about the
inability of ATSC to deliver bits to mobile/portable devices.

The 30 foot mast test was perhaps the most compelling evidence that
the ATSC system was not designed to replace NTSC, but rather to
protect it. The fact that the FCC continues to support the absurd
notion that DTV is a fixed service for fixed antennas says everything
we need to know.

Obviously, a properly designed terrestrial broadcast network would
ONLY need an antenna on a 30 foot mast for the folks who live
significant distances from the market from which they are trying to
receive the broadcasts. And this assumes that there would not be gap
fillers to provide them with the same ease of reception as the people
who live in urban/suburban areas.