[opendtv] Re: Digital radios outstrip analogue

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 11:17:55 -0500

At 8:42 AM +0000 3/2/05, Alan Roberts wrote:
>Don't be silly, do you really expect me to install a tv set in my car. What
>planet do you live on?

The same planet as you, but in a place far far away from reality.

Seems to me that mobile TV is something that the BBC and DVB have
spent considerable time developing and testing.

I can only assume that you are stepping forward to pitch me a few
softballs that I can hit out of the park, now that I am growing tired
of toying with Bert.

You know better Alan.

I don't expect you to put a TV in your car, but millions of people
are doing it, and Europe is building the infrastructure to deliver
video to those "car theater systems."

I am certain that you understand that I am talking about digital
broadcasting, NOT TV. Bits can represent any kind of media. You may
not want a TV display in your car, but this does not mean that you
could not use audio services that are delivered by a digital
broadcast network, or listen to the audio from a TV program.

And I suspect that you might find an information display useful in
your vehicle, even if it only could be used when the vehicle is
parked. A digital broadcast service could provide a wealth of
information that would be useful to people with mobile/portable
receivers.

Either you are toying with me, or you cannot grasp the concept that
ANY distribution network that can deliver bits can deliver ANY form
of digital media content.