[opendtv] Re: Digital radios outstrip analogue

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 12:29:49 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> Well, as we yanks are wont to do, we are starting
> a new digital audio broadcasting service, and it
> is unique to North America.
>
> www.ibiquity.com
>
> We are broadcasting on our FM station already, and
> are installing a new transmitter for our AM
> station on this very day.
>
> We would love to see 128 Kbps on FM!  The highest
> we can go is 96 Kbps using a proprietary Ibiquity
> codec.

John, isn't the restriction only due to the fact that
you're also transmitting analog? In the FM band,
ibiquity only transmits the digital content in the
guard bands of the FM station, so no wonder it's
going to be heavily compromised. In the FM band, if
you eliminate the analog signal and transmit pure
digital, you should be able to approximately double
the digital payload, it looks like.

I think it's dumb to have all these incompatible
digital radio standards.