[wisb] UW Arboretum, Dane County

  • From: "Charles Henrikson" <ckhenrikson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisconsin Birding Network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 20:39:46 -0500

I waited until the rain stopped and birded at the arboretum from about noon
until 3:00.  Using the interactive map at the arboretum website I found that I
walked 4.5 miles today and I can feel it.  The weather was great starting at a
temp of 40 and ending at 55 degrees.  There were broken clouds and no wind to
speak of.
Highlights:

I got my first warbler today at the Martin Street entrance to the arboretum.
It was a Yellow-rumped Warbler.  In fact right at the entrance I had a
trifecta: the Yellow-rumped Warbler, a Ruby-crowned Kinglet (FOY and singing
its heart out) and a Golden-crowned Kinglet.  Walking a block north to Carver
Street I saw 8 more Yellow-rumped Warblers flying out over the open water at
the edge of Gardner Marsh.  This is the first day that I was aware of flying
insects and this location was the buggiest spot in the whole arboretum.  I saw
everything from gnat- to housefly-sized insects.

I revisited the poplar-like tree with the large, fuzzy catkins.  After checking
out the tree in The Sibley (of bird fame) Guide to Trees I think its a young
cottonwood.  The birds feeding on the tree today were the Black-capped
Chickadee, the Downy Woodpecker and the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.  The
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker pecked holes in the branches of the tree.  I could see
the shiny reflection of the fluid oozing from the wounds and being lapped up by
the Sapsucker.

I found a FOY Hermit Thrush near the boardwalk in Gallistel Woods and another
in Wingra Woods.

There were two Tufted Titmice in Gallistel Woods who called incessantly.  It
was so loud (and annoying after a while) I could hear them practically all over
the arboretum.

My eBird report is appended below.

Good birding to all,

Chuck Henrikson