[wisb] UW Arboretum, Dane County

  • From: "Charles Henrikson" <ckhenrikson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisconsin Birding Network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 22:03:10 -0600

I took a walk through the arboretum late this afternoon.
Highlights were:

45 American Robins singing their hearts out.  It sounded like the song the
robins sing after a summer storm passes.

Watching a male Pileated Woodpecker peck a hole 2 inches in diameter and 2
inches deep in a black cherry tree.  Once finished it seemed to spend five
minutes eating(?) or drinking(?) something from the depths of the hole.  He
then moved down the tree one foot and made another similar hole.  Any ideas?

Seeing the Northern Shrike again at the top of a tree near Curtis Prairie for
about the fourth time in the past week.

At the end of the walk as I was about to get into my car I heard Red-winged
Blackbirds singing their characteristic conk-la-ree.  I scanned Curtis Prairie
and found 10 of them scattered singly across the prairie already establishing
their territories.

My eBird report is appended below.

Good birding to all,

Chuck Henrikson