[wisb] UW Arboretum, Dane County

  • From: "Charles Henrikson" <ckhenrikson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisconsin Birding Network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 21:01:51 -0600

I birded the arboretum from 3:00-5:15.  The temp was 40F.  It was sunny with a
thin overcast and there was a light breeze from the east.
Highlights were:

Lots of American Robins singing in the trees and searching the bare ground for
food, 76 total

Yesterday and today, for the first time in several months, I saw several Cedar
Waxwing

Yesterday both the Robins and the Cedar Waxwings were gleaning what remains of
the fruit of the buckthorn and bittersweet

Several small groups of Sandhill Cranes flew over, 26 total

The female Pileated Woodpecker made a short appearance at the western edge of
Gallistel Woods

The Northern Shrike is still present perching at the tops of trees around
Curtis Prairie.

17 Turkey Vultures were soaring in tight circles over Noe woods at 5:15.  It
looked like some sort of social gathering, and then they flew off.

My eBird report is appended below.

Good birding to all,

Chuck Henrikson

Location:     UW-Madison Arboretum