[wisb] UW Arboretum, Dane County

  • From: "Charles Henrikson" <ckhenrikson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisconsin Birding Network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 21:56:06 -0500

Finally, it was a beautiful, sunny day to go birding!!
I started at 6:00am and couldn't tear myself away until 11:00am.  It was only
35 degrees at the start but got warmer as the morning progressed.  There was no
wind.

One memorable moment occurred just as the sun rose and struck the trees whose
branches dipped low to reach the open water of Gardner Marsh.  Within 20 feet
of each other sitting on those branches were 13 Northern Rough-winged Swallows,
2 Barn Swallows, 1 Tree Swallow, 1 Green Heron and 1 Belted Kingfisher, all
enjoying the warmth of the rising sun.

I arrived at the Big Spring at 9:00.  The sun had awakened the flying insects
and Yellow-rumped and Palm Warblers as well as Ruby-crowned Kinglets and a lone
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher were feasting on them.

At Teal Pond were 4 Blue-winged Teals, several dragonflies and 4 turtles on
logs sunning themselves.

My eBird report is appended below.

Good birding to all,

Chuck Henrikson