[wisb] UW Arboretum, Dane County

  • From: "Charles Henrikson" <ckhenrikson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisconsin Birding Network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 17:39:23 -0500

I birded the arboretum from 6:50 to 9:30am this morning.  It was a sunny, clear
blue sky day but still cool, about 25 degrees initially.  There was no breeze
at first and then a little from the north picked up later.
Highlights:

There were Tree Swallows at the birdhouse by the visitor's center parking lot
when I first arrived but when I was about to leave I saw the Eastern Bluebirds
chase the swallows away.  Who will win that battle?

There were 12 Cedar Waxwings sunning themselves in the big cottonwood on the
east side of Curtis Prairie.

I've seen 2-4 Sandhill Cranes on Curtis Prairie for the last week.  I hope to
see young ones later in the year.

In the Teal Pond Wetlands I saw 1 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, 2 White-throated
Sparrows (FOY) and 2 American Goldfinches drinking sap or eating from the same
blooming poplar-like tree.  The tree had large, fuzzy catkins.  I'll have to
look that one up.

At the Big Spring a Pied-billed Grebe was hanging out with 3 pair of Wood
Ducks.  I've never seen a Pied-billed Grebe in those shallow waters by the
spring.

My eBird list is appended below.

Good birding to all,

Chuck Henrikson