[wisb] UW Arboretum, Dane County

  • From: "Charles Henrikson" <ckhenrikson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisconsin Birding Network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 21:35:47 -0500

I birded the arboretum from 6:00 until 9:00am.  It was clear, sunny, 40 degrees
and no wind - a great day for birding.  I started at the end of Carver street
and birded the adjacent Gardner Marsh and Lost City Forest.
I saw Palm, Yellow, Yellow-rumped, Northern Waterthrush, Common Yellowthroat
and Nashville Warblers.

I then drove to the Wingra Parking Lot and birded Wingra Woods and Gallistel
Woods.  As soon as I walked into Wingra Woods I saw a Blue-headed Vireo (FOY),
a Blue-Winged Warbler and a Black-throated Green Warbler.

In Gallistel Woods I saw a female Pileated Woodpecker moving from one fallen
log to another looking for food.  Soon after I came across an Ovenbird.  I
walked onto the boardwalk and discovered that the Sandhill Cranes, that I had
seen the previous Sunday and Monday in the same location, had built a nest in
the Teal Pond Marsh and one of them was sitting on, what I assume to be, eggs.

My eBird list is posted below.

Good birding to all,

Chuck Henrikson
Madison, Dane County