[wisb] UW Arboretum, Dane County

  • From: "Charles Henrikson" <ckhenrikson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisconsin Birding Network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 14:33:22 -0500

I birded from 10:00am - 12:30pm.  Initially there was a good south or southeat
wind but it diminished over the time I was there.  The sky was totally cloud
covered and I got dripped on a couple times but nothing substantial came down.
The temp was 45-50 degrees.
Highlights:

When I first got there two flocks of Double-crested Cormorants flew over, 30 in
one flock and 35 in the other for a total of 65.

My FOY bird was a lone Golden-crowned Kinglet feeding on or around the
bloom/buds of a maple tree.  It was hanging out with a couple Black-capped
Chickadees.

There was one large mixed group of 18 Wild Turkeys at one end of Longenecker
garden.  That group had eight males displaying.  At the other end of
Longenecker garden was one lone bachelor.  He was displaying too.  He either
had a tree fetish or was practicing because there were no other Turkeys in
sight.

Off topic - I heard my FOY frog over at the boardwalk.  It had a low, slow
croak.  I've been meaning to learn my Wisconsin frogs for the last ten years!

My eBird report is appended below.

Good birding to all,

Chuck Henrikson
Madison, Dane County