[wisb] UW Arboretum, Dane County

  • From: "Charles Henrikson" <ckhenrikson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisconsin Birding Network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 14:36:50 -0500

I birded the arboretum from 6:00am til noon.  It was a sunny, clear day.  The
temp started at 40 degrees and warmed a bit but was still cool.  There was no
wind when I started but a cool breeze picked up later in the morning.
Even though I saw 12 species of warblers I had to work hard for most every one.
 There never was a wave of warblers passing through.  There were mostly singles
and doubles scattered throughout the arboretum.  I did have small groups of 4-5
 Yellow-rumped Warblers at a time.

The warblers I saw were:
1.  Yellow-rumped Warbler - 32, here and there
2.  Yellow Warbler - 6, three in Gardner Marsh, one at Curtis Prairie, one at
Big Spring and one at the Boardwalk over Teal Pond Marsh
3.  Nashville Warbler - 6, five at Lost City Forest at end of Carver Road and
one in Gallistel Woods near the boardwalk
4.  Blue-winged Warbler - 2, one at Lost City Forest at end of Carver Road and
one foraging on the ground in Gallistel Woods
5.  Northern Parula - 2, both at Lost City Forest at end of Carver Road
6.  Black-throated Green Warbler - 1,  at Lost City Forest at end of Carver
Road
7.  Palm Warbler - 3, one at Lost City Forest at end of Carver Road, one at Big
Spring and one at Teal Pond Marsh
8.  Common Yellowthroat - 2, one at Big Spring and one at the boardwalk
9.  Black-and-white Warbler - 2, both along north path of Wingra Woods
10.  Tennessee Warbler - 1, high in blooming tree in Wingra Woods
11.  Golden-winged Warbler - 2, one high in blooming tree in Wingra Woods and
one foraging under dead, curled leaves hanging from branches near ground
12.  Blackburnian Warbler - 1, high in blooming tree in Wingra Woods

Other highlights:

2 Sandhill cranes were foraging in Teal Pond Marsh right next to the boardwalk.
 They were there yesterday, Sunday, May 1, providing great views for all the
visitors who ventured out to the boardwalk.  I don't know if they are trying to
nest there.

There are 7 Blue-winged Teal appropriately on Teal Pond.

I've never seen so many Blue-gray Gnatcatchers (7) in one day.

New arrivals to the arboretum (at least for me) are Gray Catbirds, Great
Crested Flycatchers, Least Flycatchers and White-crowned Sparrows.

My eBird list is appended below.

Good birding to all,

Chuck Henrikson
Madison, Dane County