[wisb] UW Arboretum, Dane County

  • From: "Charles Henrikson" <ckhenrikson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisconsin Birding Network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 17:52:49 -0500

I was gone for three days and came back to learn I missed the biggest influx of
warblers in Madison.  Thinking that I might get big numbers today I started
early.  I birded the arboretum from 5:45 until 11:00am.  It was cloudy and 65
degrees.  There was no wind initially but a breeze picked up out of the north
later.  I started on Carver Street at Gardner Marsh and the east side of Lost
City Forest.  I found 8 warbler species there.  I then joined Ellen Hanson and
birded Wingra Woods and Gallistel Woods as well as Longenecker Garden.
Evidently many of the warblers left overnight or we were in the wrong place at
the wrong time.
Highlights:

For color Scarlet Tanagers, Baltimore Orioles, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Indigo
Buntings, Eastern Bluebirds, Magnolia Warblers and Wood Ducks

The Sandhill Crane is still sitting on eggs next to the boardwalk at Teal Pond
Marsh

The Mourning Warbler and Eastern Wood-Pewee were FOY birds for me.

My eBird report is appended below.

Good birding to all,

Chuck Henrikson
Dane County