[wisb] UW Arboretum, Dane County

  • From: "Charles Henrikson" <ckhenrikson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisconsin Birding Network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:30:02 -0500

I birded the Arboretum from 7:00 to 9:45am.  The sky was completely overcast
but the temp was 40 and better.  There was a very slight breeze from the
northeast.  With all the rain yesterday the snow is almost all gone.  Some of
the trails are still icy in places and muddy in others, but most are okay.
Teal Pond has some open water on the far east side.
Highlights:

When I first got out of my car I heard this strange wild animal sound, as if
two were about to fight each other.  It was coming out of the densely branched
tree (sp?) right next to the parking lot.  As I approached the tree I saw an
American Robin fly out and then the Northern Shrike appeared.  It went to the
top of the tree and made another sound that was a bit cat-like.  I assume that
it was the shrike who made the first, threatening (animal-like) sound.  Two
shrikes have been seen in the arboretum.  I wonder if they will stick around
and raise a family.  Yikes, more Shrikes!  No, that's a good thing.

There were four Wood Ducks, two males and two females, on Teal Pond.  Those
were FOY birds for me.

A Northern Harrier flew over Curtis Prairie but did not stop.

Two Great Blue Herons also flew over the arboretum heading north.

There were 30 Wild Turkeys out on Longenecker Gardens.  The males were in full
display, courting the females.  The females appeared completely uninterested
and continued their search for food.  The heads and necks of the males were
bright red, blue and white.

My eBird report is appended below.

Good birding to all,

Chuck Henrikson