[wisb] Wild Turkey Display, Photos, UW Arboretum

  • From: Arlene Koziol <arlenekoziol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Birding Network Birding Wisconsin Wisconsin <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 20:33:08 -0500

April 6, 2011, 9:30am. University  of Wisconsin Arboretum,  Longenecker
Gardens. Thanks to Charles Hendrickson's post, I spent a wonderful morning
observing a flock of seven Wild Turkeys displaying and foraging. One male was
excited most of the time. He strutted with his head pulled in close to his
body,  his tail fan sticking straight up and dragging his wings. Occasionally,
this dominant male would extend his neck and gobble. I've heard that this
gobble can be heard for a mile.
It was  also fascinating to see how the turkey's head and neck colors would
change, red ,white and blue during it's display.  The feathers of the turkey
were iridescent with areas of red, purple, green, copper, bronze, and gold.
Below is a link to my photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29411257@N00/sets/72157626319959965/

Arlene Koziol
Cook County