[wisb] Sheboygan& south

  • From: "Steve Thiessen" <stevethiessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisb" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 20:17:52 -0500

 Nolan Pope and headed up to Sheboygan for some birding. Along the way we had
150+ White-fronted  and 1 tiny Ross's goose at Wangsness Road in Columbia Co. 1
Tundra Swan in a field by Breezy Point Road. 2 Trumpeter swans and 2 Pelicans
along Hy 49.
 Started Lake Michigan birding at North Point, in Sheboygan. Right in front of
the parking lot was a male Surf Scoter. Wasn't a full adult. The female
Harlequin swam by. An adult Great Black-Backed and adult Thayer's gull were on
the rocks. At the gazebo, were was an adult Kumlien's Gull.
 From Blue Harbor, Nolan spotted a distant Red-Throated Loon. A Caspian tern
flew by.Going south, there were 2 Red-Throated Loons not to far off the beach.
 From the dead end road south of the power plant we had a fly by  dark scoter.
Probably surf, but not sure.
 At Kohler-Andre we saw a few smaller lines of Long-tailed ducks. Had 2 fly by
Common and Red-Throated Loons. Note: all R-T loons seen today were in winter
plumage. Some seemed like 1st year birds.
 We had 1 3rd year Glaucous Gull just off the beach.
 By the Sanderling Nature Center we had towhee, Golden-Crowned Kinglets,
creeper and sapsuckers. At the north parking area we added Winter Wren.
 At Cty D, at Harrington Beach, I saw a distant White-Winged Scoter.
 From the point we had 3 more White-winged Scoters. A Red-Throated Loon popped
up right by the end of the point. Really good views.
We stopped at Virmond Park. Quite a few birds on the water, but the most
unusual was a couple pairs of Wood Ducks out in the lake.
 A good day out, but there was lots of stuff just out of scope range. There was
a slight fog mist on some of the lake.
 Steve Thiessen Stoughton Dane co.