(VICT) Re: Alex- Dog Attack

  • From: metnme2 <metnme2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Vi-Clicker <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 09:55:40 -0700 (PDT)

Thankfully it sounds like Alex was not physically hurt
by those mongrels Sorry but I absolutely hate little
dogs and my folks have 2 of them again.
I wanted to comment on one thing you mentioned. It was
how the information on the GDUI presentation said that
dogs who ignore the dog distraction are less likely to
be attacked. That certainly was not my experience.
Honestly I often wonder if Met had been able to alert
me to the dog sooner would I have been able to
minimize in any way the attack we went through with
the pitbull in 2003 right in front of Safe Way.
The one thing that helped me and still helps me is to
try to think in the present rather than thinking where
a dog might be along the way to where we are going. I
know it did not create the same hurdle for you as it
did for Met and I but I worked with a lot of treats
those first months especially when encountering dogs.
I have had to pepper spray 2 dogs since then as where
I live people are the worst with their aggressive
large breed unleashed dogs that they are not paying
any attention to. Its a small college town with
farmland on the most outer perimeters and people get
downright rude about whether they should be
controlling their animals or not. I honestly can not
wait to get out of this town.
But Sandy I would just keep praising her for quiet and
for guiding you in a steady manner up to the gate
rather than taking your arm off LOL I would try and
nip that one in the bud now before it becomes habit
but at the same time watch her demeanor in how she
deals with the dog experiences you encounter. I so
hate untrained owners LOL

Karyn