(VICT) Re: Alex- Dog Attack

  • From: Debi Davis <scripto@xxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 08:05:49 -0700

Hi Sandee,

I'm so sorry to hear about the small dogs who have not been under
their owner's control when you and Alex have been out and about. I
think your plan for desentizing Alex to small dogs, fence-barkers,
etc., is a good one--and a few set-ups couldn't help.

Do you have a sighted friend who could possibly help by handling a
small dog at a distance, while you click and treat for focus on you?
You can have the team move closer while you continue your work on
rewarding her focus. As that proceeds, the other handler and dog
could zig zag across the road and out from between parked cars just
ahead of you and Alex, so you could continue to C/T for guiding, but
not heavy pulling behaviors.

I agree with you 100% on owners who allow their animals to roam
freely without restraint nor training. It is a nightly occurance for
my husband and I, but in our case, we have tiny dogs and it's the big
dogs who put us at risk. Not that they are always aggressive--that is
rare--but they are large, powerful, often playful, and one leap and
smack of a paw could break their backs.

As for the approach of taking warning information to the woman with
the obnoxious little dogs, and also spreading it through the
neighborhood--the idea of education is a very good one!  However, I
don't know that education via warnings such as this are particularly
effective. Not everyone is altruistic by nature, and may not realize
that their loosey-goosey handling of their own dogs are un-training
your dog, and putting you at risk.

My thought is to continue using a clicker philosophy to BRING THEM
INTO your world, by educating them in a way that does not cause them
to go on the defensive, and become an enemy or resent what what are
trying so hard to do: help them understand. There's this thing about
people wanting and needing to "keep face" and not be corrected. If
pushed into a corner, many humans will react with equal ferver, and
feel they have to "defend" their dogs' behaviors, and rhapsodize
about what wonderful little dogs they are.

Perhaps another way to get the same information across, but in a
non-threatening way, would be to enlist them in helping you as an
"assistant trainer." It's worked miracles for me, but I am sighted,
so I'm nor sure what part that plays in my attempt at using clicker
philosophy to diffuse potential problem behaviors. What I do know a
little about in my 60 years here on earth, and 20-some using service
dogs, is that the majority of people, given a chance to be PART of
helping someone--will make that choice in the same manner that any
animal with a brain stem will choose to work for a high-value
reinforcer.

In one case, the fence-barking dogs (poor dears, two of them living
outside in 110% heat with nothing to do all day and night except
react to whomever and whatever passes their territory. I had no
problem desensitizing my dogs and regaining their focus  (I have five
I walk nightly), but it sure drove me nuts hearing that loud racket
constantly, and knowing I had within me the power to keep them quiet
and non-reactive, so we could continue our nightly walks (only time
it's cool enough to walk the dogs), but always so late it could
easily wake other neighbors.

So I wrote a note to the owners of the dogs, explained that I have
service dogs that I exercise late at night, or use during the day,
and that must go past their house several times a day on my route. I
explained that though I was disabled, using a service dog, that I was
also a dog trainer, and asked if they would mind if I attempted to
teach their dogs--outside their fence--to remain quiet when we
passed. I explained that I would only be tossing them treats, and not
doing anything nasty to them.

Since I never heard back from them, but left every possible contact
number should they choose to contact me and deny permission (I didn't
think they would--their dogs live ouside and eat Old Roy food).

It took three days total to complete the mission: At first, I just
rolled by and clicked while they were still barking, then tossed a
handful of treats over the fence. As they were eating the treats, and
quiet--I tossed yet another handful of treats. On and on this went,
as I walked back and forth by their fence, tossing treats to now very
quiet and attentive dogs. By the end of three days, my dogs and I
could walk by the fence, and the two fence-barkers would line up,
wagging tails in wait for their treats.
As long as they were silent, I'd click and toss those treats, then
give one to my dog as well. One click reinforced both the
fence-barkers and my own dog for maintaining focus on me.

So my thoughts ramble around finding ways to say what you need to say
in a letter or brochure, but in a totally NON threatening and
non-coercive way. Instead of warning about the penalties for
interferring with a guide dog at work, (though you can still include
that later on in the "rules/laws" section), you could explain what
happens when off-leash dogs approach, barking or/and snapping, and
how that forces your dog to focus on those dogs instead of remaining
on the job keeping you safe and independent. You could add a short
anectdote of how it could (or has) caused you to walk into a pothole,
or a curb, or a hanging tree branch.

If you give the reader something to imagine--word pictures--it can be
an effective way to enlist their help instead of their resentment.
Same info, just presented in a different way. Sort of like finding
something to click in your dog rather than putting on a prong and
giving them a jerk. While both approaches may appear to work equally,
we know with emperical evidence that coercion has its fallout, and
why chance that when we can use a clickerly approach and actually
change behaviors through giving them a non-threatening choice?

For the fence barkers--you could leave a note on their door to ask if
you can toss treats so they won't bark at you and Alex each time you
pass. To the lady with the obnoxious off-leash small dogs, perhaps a
more assertive rather than passive bit of help could be requested:
would she be willing to keep her dogs on leash in her driveway while
you pass by and reinforce your dog for ignoring them? You can even
give her a couple handful of treats to give to her dogs while this is
happening.

In composing any letter or brochure, it can be oh-so-helpful to keep
the tone totally positive. Turn around any sentences that start with
"don't" to sentences that focus on a positive instead. Something they
can *do.*  Reinforce owner with verbal thank you's with sincerity,
and let her know how grateful you are for her help. In other words,
the hole you bite through your tongue will likely pay off long after
the tongue heals.

It's possible that the woman may be one of the few who would not care
to help, but in my experience, with a positive approach, bringing the
offender INTO your solution in a positive way--can work wonders most
of the time. There is nothing sure-fire, but they payout is far
better than putting money into a slot machine.

Because I was paired with a 10 pound Papillon service dog for a
decade, I learned to extend clicker responding to diffuse
confrontations of all kinds. Even the gentlest adolescent Golden or
Lab is a threat to my little dogs, no matter how non-threatening
their behavior may be to dogs their own size.
I've had a friendly German Shepherd do a puppy bow and thrust out a
paw in play and flatten my dog to the ground in one fell swoop. The
dog meant no harm, it was just engaging in puppy play, nor realizing
how the size difference placed my dogs in harm's way.

Now that I'm using a larger service dog, we tend to attract lots of
little dogs or adolescent larger dogs off leash. We may put in 10
miles of walking/trotting/running per night (I use a very fast power
wheelchair). I keep smelly, high-value organic non-wheat, corn or
soy-based treats on hand and fling them out by the handful when
needed so we can pass by without incident.

Just another idea on helping attain attitudinal changes in the people
and dogs who have never learned to be responsible or considerate. So
many times, just reaching out to them and bringing them into your
circle works miracles, while a defensive, law-threatening approach
can put them on the defensive and make an enemy instead of a friend.

Good luck to you, Sandee! You're one of my heroes and I totally adore you.

Debi Davis
Service Dog User/Trainer
Las Vegas, NV, USA