(VICT) Re: Alex- Dog Attack

  • From: Sheila Styron <sheilastyron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 10:37:10 -0500

Sandy, I consider myself a pretty trusting individual, but I completely
agree with your assertion that it is much easier to control oneself and
one's own dog than the public at large. In the guide dog world, there is
this big controversy over whether guide dogs should be petted in
harness. I believe the trend is moving more toward allowing petting with
west coast handlers and schools much less rigid on this point. The only
thing to do really is to ask the handler, as some of us do and some of
us don't. I have always allowed petting, believing that it's much easier
to accustom my dog to accepting attention gracefully than it would be to
train the entire world to not make eye contact with or wish to pet a
beautiful dog.

Sheila Styron, President
Guide Dog Users, Inc.
816-363-3172