(VICT) Re: Alex- Dog Attack

  • From: "DIANNE B. PHELPS AND PRIMROSE" <d.bphelps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 20:56:16 -0700

Sandy,

I have done similarly with Primrose, using the command, Leave it". When I am
aware of dogs in the area, I talk to my dogs a lot, telling them that they
are ok and having them focus on my voice and their work which has always
worked for us in the past.

For me, this method does two things. It helps my dog concentrate and walk on
by, but it also keeps me more calm and focussed on my dog instead of being
frightened of the other dogs.

Most of the dogs we see here in Napa, however, are with their masters,
either in cars or on leash, and, fortunately, most dog people here are
careful, something for which I am lucky.

I think you are right on track, and the yipping will probably stop as Alex
becomes more used to these disturbers on her route.

Dianne and Primrose