[python] Re: max downhill speed --lost mail, second try

  • From: Dirk Bonne <dirk_bonne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 22:26:27 +0200

Jürgen Mages wrote:

>>> That would be good, since air resistance is also a square law. I had
>>> thought of adding lead weights to the spoke nipples  to increase the
>>> gyro stabilization, a linear effect...
>>

>> Hmm, would it not be that it is exactly the opposite, that the turning
>> of the wheel makes it wierd to ride. And that we should instead try to
>> minimize it instead of maximizing the power exected on the pivot.
>

> Hard to say.
>
> On one hand I would say that a large gyroscopic force
> tends to stabilize the bike.
>
> On the other I see that your python with its 20" inch wheels
> seems more stable than mine (26") while high speed coasting.
>
> The flevoracer with 28" wheels has been reported to have
> "strange" high speed effects. That´s why they build it now
> with 26" wheels.

Aha! No my 10cents fall. Years and years ago some guy was talking about
his bad experience with coasting downhill on a flevo race (he talked
about not being able to control the bike). At the time, it nearly
brought me off the idea of building a flevo. But when I finally build
mine (20" sized), I never ever experienced anything wrong.

I could not understand why he had problem while I had none. ...never
went over +-65kmh though, so may be the problem would also have been
there on my bike, but I just never went fast enough.

Do you have pointers to info about this? I mean when they came unto the
idea of making the wheel smaller, they probably also understood what was
going on.

May be this effect has nothing to do with the trail being negative. But
just that on centered steered bikes the effect is stronger ---just like
that loading heavy bagage on a centered steered bike is immediatly felt.

Dirk