[python] Re: max downhill speed --lost mail, second try

  • From: Lazybee45@xxxxxxx
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 05:48:49 EDT

In a message dated 5/6/2005 4:16:37 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
dirk_bonne@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

This is  a little disappoining as I had hoped that with the smaller trail
the limit  would be well beyond the speed range I personally would want
to reach.  60kmh however is at the border of that range.

I am not totally familiar with Kmh vs MPH though have a passing  acquaintance
with it, after all, my Truck (Lorry) speedo is calibrated in KM, I  just
don't pay attention.  But If I figure it correctly, your Python  becomes
"tricky"
at about 50 kmh/30 mph?   I have a Terra Trike that  becomes "overly nimble"
at about 15-30 mph (about the same range I think)   So I use brakes to keep it
below 25 or so on long downhills.  But my old  Vision LWB bike would stay
relatively stable up to 40+ which is fine, but I had  one experience with that
speed that was daunting to say the least.  I  passed a guy on RAGBRAI last
summer
in Western Iowa, going downhill at over 40  mph and he dropped a front wheel
into a wide crack in the pavement (Between two  slabs of concrete) about the
time I was 15 or so feet ahead of him. which  literally threw him to the ground
head first.  The sound of his helmet  hitting was like a pistol shot. I
thought his tire had blown.  Or MY tire  had blown, I wasn't sure which. I
spent a
few anxious moments waiting for the  bike to dump me until I figured out that
it was someone else who had lost a  tire. I did not know what happened until
someone passed me trying to get an  ambulance which was parked at the next hill
to come down and scrape him  up.  Not trying to make light of his misfortune,
or my not seeing him, I  was probably too concerned with my bike and keeping
upright at the time.

He wasn't killed, but DID require evac by helicopter to Omaha for brain
surgery.  One other person died at the same spot and several others  crashed.

Um, maybe the hesitancy to go that fast is a good thing.  Don't go  faster
than you would like to fall.

mark
come  to the Midwest HPV/ Velomobile conference
June 11/12 2005 Cedar Rapids,  Iowa
_http://garvey.trykekidd.com/velopub.html_
(http://garvey.trykekidd.com/velopub.html)
Shirt  for the conference is at the website  below.

http://www.zazzle.com/products/product/product.asp?general%5Fcategory%5Fid=103
814463239010772&general%5Fproduct%5Ftype=235&caching=on&product%5Fid=235422661
127401285&index=1