[python] Re: max downhill speed --lost mail, second try

  • From: "25hz" <25hz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 22:36:37 -0400

So, when coasting downhill at speed, a few things seem to be happeing.  In
no particular order . .
- your pivot angle starts to flatten out relative to the direction gravity
is working on, namely straight down.  So, as mentioned in the python stats,
the larger the angle, 70 degrees or more, the "lighter" the steering feels,
which is likely not a good feeling at speed, when you are normally used to a
"heavier" feel.
- when pedalling, on any grade of road, the friction is in front of the
pivot, pulling, and this helps keep the python wanting to run straight and
true.  When coasting on a downhill, now, the fricion on the front tire is
pushing backwards, TOWARDS the pivot.  The faster the coasting, the higher
the friction gets, and at some point the friction pushing backwards likely
approaches the ability of your weight to keep the pivot at it's lowest
point, and keep the bike running straight, with the comfortable/normal
"heavy" feel to the steering input.  This friction on the front wheel, it
would seem, will try to dissipate or reduce itself by rotating the front
wheel around and behind the pivot - which likely also adds to the creepy
feeling.

What is the effect of continuing to pedal to try to keep some "drive" going
into the front wheels contact patch while simultaneously riding the rear
brake a little?  While it can't fix the reduced pivot angle due to the
hill's angle, it might put the pivot under tension by pulling ahead of the
pivot, and dragging behind the pivot to artificially increase the "weight"
on it?