[python] Re: max downhill speed

  • From: Jürgen Mages <jmages@xxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 22:42:53 +0200

The flevoracer with 28" wheels has been reported to have
"strange" high speed effects. That´s why they build it now
with 26" wheels.

Aha! No my 10cents fall. Years and years ago some guy was talking about his bad experience with coasting downhill on a flevo race (he talked about not being able to control the bike). At the time, it nearly brought me off the idea of building a flevo. But when I finally build mine (20" sized), I never ever experienced anything wrong.

Do you have pointers to info about this? I mean when they came unto the
idea of making the wheel smaller, they probably also understood what was
going on.

Some months ago this was mentioned in the flevo mailinglist. I think it was a posting of Erik Wannee who seems to have close contact to the flevo developers/producers. I will try to find the posting or forward this question to the list.

May be this effect has nothing to do with the trail being negative. But
just that on centered steered bikes the effect is stronger ---just like
that loading heavy bagage on a centered steered bike is immediatly felt.

I think center-steered bikes are in general more sensitive to changes of CoG and frame geometry.

Au revoir,