[python] Re: max downhill speed

  • From: Dirk Bonne <dirk_bonne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 22:53:54 +0200

Jürgen Mages wrote:

>>> The flevoracer with 28" wheels has been reported to have
>>> "strange" high speed effects. That´s why they build it now
>>> with 26" wheels.
>>

>> Aha! No my 10cents fall. Years and years ago some guy was talking about
>> his bad experience with coasting downhill on a flevo race (he talked
>> about not being able to control the bike). At the time, it nearly
>> brought me off the idea of building a flevo. But when I finally build
>> mine (20" sized), I never ever experienced anything wrong.
>>
>> Do you have pointers to info about this? I mean when they came unto the
>> idea of making the wheel smaller, they probably also understood what was
>> going on.
>

> Some months ago this was mentioned in the flevo mailinglist.
> I think it was a posting of Erik Wannee who seems to have
> close contact to the flevo developers/producers.
> I will try to find the posting or forward this question to the list.

okay, thanks!

The idea of Ray of putting weights on the spokes could be a nice and
easy experiment to settle if the gyroscopic effect is friend or foe.

>> May be this effect has nothing to do with the trail being negative. But
>> just that on centered steered bikes the effect is stronger ---just like
>> that loading heavy bagage on a centered steered bike is immediatly felt.
>

> I think center-steered bikes are in general more sensitive to
> changes of CoG and frame geometry.

What about the gyroscopic effect of the rear wheel? The corrective
forces made by lean or steer adjustments will have the opposite effect
as the front wheel.

> Au revoir,

tot ziens ;-)
Dirk