[python] Re: max downhill speed --lost mail, second try

  • From: Dirk Bonne <dirk_bonne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 10:50:58 +0200

Lazybee45@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 5/6/2005 4:16:37 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
> dirk_bonne@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
>     This is a little disappoining as I had hoped that with the smaller
>     trail
>     the limit would be well beyond the speed range I personally would want
>     to reach. 60kmh however is at the border of that range.
>
> I am not totally familiar with Kmh vs MPH though have a passing
> acquaintance with it, after all, my Truck (Lorry) speedo is calibrated
> in KM, I just don't pay attention.  But If I figure it correctly, your
> Python becomes "tricky" at about 50 kmh/30 mph?   I have a Terra Trike
> that becomes "overly nimble" at about 15-30 mph (about the same range I

> think)  So I use brakes to keep it below 25 or so on long downhills.
> But my old Vision LWB bike would stay relatively stable up to 40+
> which is fine, but I had one experience with that speed that was
> daunting to say the least.  I passed a guy on RAGBRAI last summer in
> Western Iowa, going downhill at over 40 mph and he dropped a front
> wheel into a wide crack in the pavement (Between two slabs of
> concrete) about the time I was 15 or so feet ahead of him. which
> literally threw him to the ground head first.  The sound of his helmet
> hitting was like a pistol shot. I thought his tire had blown.  Or MY
> tire had blown, I wasn't sure which. I spent a few anxious moments
> waiting for the bike to dump me until I figured out that it was
> someone else who had lost a tire. I did not know what happened until
> someone passed me trying to get an ambulance which was parked at the
> next hill to come down and scrape him up.  Not trying to make light of
> his misfortune, or my not seeing him, I was probably too concerned
> with my bike and keeping upright at the time.
>
> He wasn't killed, but DID require evac by helicopter to Omaha for
> brain surgery.  One other person died at the same spot and several
> others crashed.

<brrr> My mouse nearly cracked under the tension while reading this! It
is a very close discription of my fear...

> Um, maybe the hesitancy to go that fast is a good thing.  Don't go
> faster than you would like to fall.

only partly, because it builds up to a climax. On my flevo racer
(20inch) it was the rider that set the maximum speed, not the bike.
60kmh is about what I personally feel with (on nice roads, good
conditions, etc..).

Dirk