[pure-silver] Re: What is a "project"?

  • From: Peter De Smidt <pdesmidt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:16:12 -0600

jeffrey wrote:

>Am I in the minority by virtue of not planning out my photo outings?

Well, people, especially art critics, love to categorize. They want to
be able to fit a work into broader contexts, because that gives them a
lot to talk about. Moreover people who put up shows want themes. After
all, being able to say something like "Contemporary Nudes" is much more
likely to capture someone's attention than simply saying "Photographs".
Moreover having a theme or project suggests sustained attention, and
perhaps people link this with profundity. If you're main goal is to have
shows, or have art critics notice you, then themes (whether imposed pre
or post picture taking) are the way to go. If you're not interested in
this type of recognition, then do what you'd like. Some people benefit
from projects, and some don't. The only way to tell would be to try
one.  Personally, I usually have a general idea of the types of
photographs I plan to make when I head out. You know, something like
waterfalls, ice forms, an old house...but once in the field I go with
whatever catches my eye.  Today for example I went out hoping to
photograph ice crystals which I saw yesterday on a nearby creek. When I
got there, though, they had all melted. So instead of ice crystals I
shot reflections of trees in the creek. To some up, do what you'd like.
If having a project sounds fun, then by all means do it. They can be
great learning experiences. If it sounds like a tedious boor, then give
it a miss.

-Peter