[pure-silver] Re: Any news from Ilford?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:33:14 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "jeffrey" <puresilver@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2005 6:46 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Any news from Ilford?

>>  > Hi,
>>>
>>>  I was wondering if somebody knows anything about the
>>> current status of =
>>>  Ilford.
>>>
>>  > Are they still alive and producing?
>
> I ordered a couple boxes of 8.5x11 Ilford MG WT RC paper
> about 8
> weeks ago. I got the boxes a week ago, and noticed that
> the label is
> a little different from other recent boxes. Also, when I
> dropped a
> sheet into the developer, I couldn't believe how quickly
> the image
> appeared - I'm talking maybe 7 seconds before the first
> hint of the
> image appeared.
>
> New formulation?

   That sounds like it has an incorporated developer. It
_should_ say on the box, but maybe doesn't. Up until now
Ilford has not included developer in their RC papers, at not
in MG Deluxe, so they develop like fiber paper. Nearly all
other RC papers have incorporated developer to make them
usable in "activation" type processors. Perhaps Ilford
thinks they can increase market share by making their papers
compatible. The effect of incorporated developer when used
in a normal print developer is to make the image come up
very fast and to reduce the effect of different developers
on the paper. It probably also reduces the amount of control
over the image by varying the time of developement although
this is limited anyway.

---