[pure-silver] Re: Any news from Ilford?

  • From: "Dave Valvo" <dvalvo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 23:18:31 -0800

Richard, the truth is that Ilford RC papers with a full slug of ID would
degrade within 6 months of processing.  What happens is the ID is not locked
into the emulsion.  It leaches through the resin layer into the paper fibers
as it sits in the box before processing.  After processing, the ID within
the paper begins to oxidize and turns a pinky color with increased Dmin
visible from both sides.  Kodak RC papers never had this problem because
their paper fibers contain antioxidants to neutralize any ID that migrates.
Thus Ilford, with Deluxe paper, removed most of their ID from their paper
but left a little in for shelf life pre-process stability.  You should be
able to detect it with the carbonate solution (high pH) Ryuji suggests.
Some natural age tests I have run on Ilford Deluxe RC papers show the defect
is still there but to a much, much lesser extent and it takes a longer time
to be visible.

Dave