[pure-silver] What is a "project"?

  • From: jeffrey <puresilver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 11:50:04 -0800

Something I've noticed a lot in the art world is the word "project".
(as a noun)

Curators, contest jurors, fellow 'artists' seem to want to view your
work thru the filter of it being part of some current project. The
implication seems to be that we organize our artistic expression
along some defined theme.

Do most of you create work within 'projects'?

To me, it's a more understandable expression in a medium like
painting, where you are starting from scratch and creating a finished
product. I would guess that most painters have at least a clue where
they're going when they start a canvas.

And certainly, there are a lot of photogs who have an idea for a
picture and go out and 'build' it.

Speaking only for myself, I shoot pictures pretty much as I find
them. Sure, a beautiful day, or some thick fog, or some special
event, may inspire me to shoot several rolls along a 'theme'. But I
rarely know what I am going to end up shooting when I first leave the
house.

Am I in the minority by virtue of not planning out my photo outings?