[projectaon] Re: 01hh Comment Period

  • From: "Jonathan Blake" <blake.jon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 11:19:57 -0700

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 7:42 AM, James Murray <barefootjimmy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I seem to be in an overwhelming minority, and the points everyone
> brings are valid, but I feel like the issue I raised is still going
> unanswered. I'm in 100% agreement that there's no point in continuing
> to fire once you hear the scream, but I'd still say there exists a
> flaw in that you can magically know beforehand that it's
> impossible/not worth trying to shoot at the guy even before you pull
> the trigger for the first time. I'm not saying there's a perfect
> solution, but i does seem to be a slight flaw in game design (one
> whose fix may well be beyond the mission of PA, since as Iain pointed
> out, the order of words lends weight to his interpretation).

Regarding firing until you hear him scream, that kind of implies that
you fire, wait for scream, fire, wait for scream, etc. I don't know if
that sits well with me. That seems pretty slow paced and perhaps he
never screams. It seems more natural to squeeze off a few rounds
hoping that those are enough to hit your assailant.

I'm in favor of changing the order of the instructions:

~~~~~
Add together your current Shooting and Perception skill totals. For
every bullet you decide to fire, add an additional point to your total
(but be sure to erase them from your Ammo Pouch). Now, pick a number
from the Random Number Table and add the number to your skills total.
~~~~~

Otherwise a footnote:

~~~~~
While the text of this section implies that you can decide how many
bullets to fire _after_ picking a number from the Random Number Table,
this introduces an inappropriate level of foreknowledge (i.e. you
would know exactly how many bullets you'll need to fire in order to
turn to the more desirable section). It is recommended that you pick a
number from the Random Number table only after you have decided how
many bullets to fire.
~~~~~

Thoughts? Improvements?

--