[project1dev] Re: pirate dice via the web

  • From: Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 12:32:19 -0800

er more info:

Our server API is kind of like this:

Logging in:
http://blah.com?function=login&username=blah&password=blah

you pass the username and password on the URL line and it returns your
unique account ID as well as a random session ID number if the login was
successful

Sending a message:
http://blah.com?function=sendmessage&messagename=blah&messagevalue=blah&key=blarh

you use the above URL to send a message to the server which will be received
by everyone else in the room you are in.  it takes a messagename and a
message value as a parameter and the key is a security key that is gotten
from doing some encryption on some data which includes your userid and
session id.

etc...

IE the api says how to talk to it, but not what it does internally.

In fact, the internal way it works could change (ie you could change where
the login info is stored etc) but as long as the API remains the same, other
programs that talk to the server won't have to change, they should still
just work.