-=PCTechTalk=- Re: custom built computer

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 18:49:31 -0500

Good question.  With all of the delays that MS has added to the retiring of
XP, I'm not sure if it's still available for consumer purchase.  I know they
extended the ability of 'official' system builders to purchase licenses in
advance, but do not know how that affects one's ability to walk into a mom &
pop shop and ask for one tomorrow.

However, if you plan to build a system that will REPLACE one you already
own, you may be able to transfer the license from the old system onto the
new one.  It would probably not pass automatic internet Activation, so that
may result in a call to MS to get it activated once you explain that the old
system is gone.  They should remove the connection between the old system &
that specific license and allow you to associate it with the new system from
that point on.

Peace,
Gman
http://www.bornagainamerican.org