-=PCTechTalk=- Re: custom built computer

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 22:59:58 -0500

Not more expensive, but a 64-bit OS may have some difficulty with drivers
for older devices since drivers must be made specifically for 32-bit OR
64-bit operation.  The driver situation has improved tremendously since they
first started releasing 64-bit OS's a couple of years ago with WinXP x64,
but some older items (old scanners, printers, etc.) will never get x64
support.  This driver issue doesn't exist with any internal devices, though.
Among my multi-boot OS's, I run XP x64 and I'm rather happy with it.

If you run XP x32 on it, 2GB of RAM will always be the 'sweet spot'.  For
Vista x32, go with a full 4GB.  If you choose to go with a 64-bit OS, go for
8GB if you can afford it (and make sure the motherboard can support that
much).

Peace,
Gman
http://www.bornagainamerican.org