-=PCTechTalk=- Re: custom built computer

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 18:25:22 -0400

Cristy,
I've taken a peek at the config for the system you're talking about and, as
you may have guessed, I have some questions/concerns.

The first thing that struck me is the Intel Certified Liquid CPU Cooling
System Kit.  This is part of a water cooling setup and that's likely
something you DON'T want to play with.  Water cooling is used primarily by
serious gamers who want to overclock the heck out of their systems to
squeeze out as much power as possible.  the liquid cooling helps keep temps
lower than air cooling, but it's overkill (as well as expensive and quite
messy) for those who don't overclock.  If you're concerned about heat
dissipation (and you should be), I can suggest a couple of really good
heatsink/fan models that will readily take care of your needs.

The second thing that struck me is that there appears to be an odd graphics
item highlighted.  In config2, it's showing the ATI Radeon HD 4870 (one heck
of a nice choice, if it's compatible with everything else here *).  But just
under that is a line showing "Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA".  The problem
here is that the ATI Radeon brand is owned by AMD/ATI, and they are nVidia's
primary competition in the graphics arena.  IBuyPower seems to have a signal
crossed somewhere here.

My next observation is that you have elected to go without an operating
system.  The hard drive will arrive blank and you'll have to install your
own operating system.  Do you already have a Retail OS install disk to
install onto this new system?  If you do, be aware that it cannot be
installed on more than one system at a time.

Next, I see two very similar optical burners selected (LG & Sony brands).
Any special reason why you want two of them for this build?

* - I've checked for the compatibility I mentioned earlier and it seems that
this video card will work with everything else listed here.  My specific
concerns were that it can actually fit in the Nzxt tower you picked out
(it'll be tight, but it'll still physically fit) and that the Corsair power
supply will have the necessary power connectors it needs (the video card
requires two six-pin PCI Express connectors and the PS had 4 of them).

One other thing is that I want to congratulate you on selecting a really
good power supply to replace the cheapie that comes with the Nzxt tower.
Pack the cheapie away somewhere as an emergency spare.      :)

Peace,
Gman
http://www.bornagainamerican.org