-=PCTechTalk=- Re: custom built computer

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 11:23:41 -0500

The difference between a custom build vs. an OEM is pretty much like
comparing apples and orangutans.  They simply can't be compared based on
price alone.

For instance, with an OEM, you WILL get a cheap motherboard that has
limitations built right into it so that the OEM won't have to support more
advanced setups.  The BIOS will be proprietary, so more advanced settings
will not be available within it.  That may severely limit which CPU's can be
installed if you decide to look into extending the life of the system later
on.  It may even limit you to other hardware that you can only get from that
OEM.  And that's just talking about the motherboard.  The power supply will
be just enough to support the devices that are included with the initial
purchase, but will need to be upgraded if you choose to upgrade almost any
part of the computer.  There's more, but I think you get the picture.  If
you weren't into multimedia as much as you are, I might be less inclined to
stress these differences as strongly, but they will most likely affect your
purchase more significantly than it would someone who's only interested in
email, surfing and myspace.    lol

If you're willing to put the parts together yourself, you'll bring the price
down closer to the level of an OEM system with somewhat compareable parts,
but the capabilities of the system will be much higher (better motherboard,
video, sound, RAM, etc.).  It's not hard to do, but you will need to heed
some advice before diving in.  Let me know what you think.

Peace,
Gman
http://www.bornagainamerican.org