[opendtv] Re: (no subject)

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:51:36 -0600

Ron Economos wrote:

> I was just using it as an example of a fairly tangible
> change to MPEG-2.

1080/60p/50p is indeed a substantial update to MPEG-2/H.262 compression.

But my point was, over the years, only H.262 has been the compression algorithm
specified in the MPEG-2 standard. No other compression algorithm is in the
MPEG-2 standard. That's the piece that hasn't changed, even if today H.264 is
sometimes being transmitted within MPEG-2 TS.

I agree with Tom that this would break all existing receivers out there, if it
were broadcast that way. So as far as OTA transmission goes, might as well
specify H.264 for 1080/60p, as long as a new receiver will be necessary. I
remember seeing that this 1080/60p option was going to be added to MPEG-2
compression some time ago.

According to some sources, H.262 is now said to be good down to 1 Mb/s. That's
probably how they manage to cram 10 TV streams, and some other stuff, in one
19.39 Mb/s multiplex. In the early days, I don't think anything below 1.5 or 2
Mb/s were considered acceptable for H.262.