[opendtv] Re: Local Content Considered Key to Mobile DTV Adoption

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:21:23 -0500

In my very limited sampling of a couple of markets, it seems as if there is a "weather package" being sold for subchannel use. I've seen the same format on stations in different markets that do not share ownership or network affiliation. It appears to be a product from AccuWeather. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Local_AccuWeather_Channel

Early on, my local NBC used the output of their news department's weather graphics computer for the radar loop, but it was interrupted when the weather talent updated their newscasts. It was fun watching them build maps.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

Watch much DTT lately, Craig? No waiting involved.

Weather, and sometimes news too, are available around the clock on some of the local station subchannels. In this market, NBC and ABC offer this, and CBS has the radar image only. The ABC affiliate used to include audio from the 24 hour news radio station WTOP. I don't know if they still do.

And, of course, it will be up to these broadcasters to fine-tune the content of the M/H stream. The fact that the coveted age bracket is interested in FOTA TV over their cell phones is certainly interesting, so it's up to broadcasters to capitalize on this.