[opendtv] Re: Local Content Considered Key to Mobile DTV Adoption

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 20:42:37 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> But broadcasters are still stuck in a time warp.
> They still think linear and haven't a clue how
> to use their spectrum to deliver files instead
> of appointment TV.

Some of that is only one's perception of reality. For example, with a PVR at
the receive end, the broadcaster is sending files, on a schedule, as any
broadcast or multicast file would have to be sent. Even IP multicasts over an
ISP's net would have to be sent on a schedule.

I could have a PVR with the capability of downloading several such files at the
same time. Or multiple PVRs. The programs are all packet data, differentiated
by packet headers. Routing is trivial, since the channel is a broadcast
channel. Which means, packet destination address not required. The dest address
is implicit as "all receivers," so only packet ID is needed. Receivers filter
based on packet ID and channel number.

Still, even with a rather trivial routing model, by any definition of "digital
files," broadcasters are transmitting digital files.

Turns out that now broadcasters are using ~ 2 to 18 Mb/s download speed. They
COULD transmit faster than real time, and take up more capacity in the 19.39
Mb/s channel. The tradeoff there is, less choice of files in that time slot. Or
slower than real time, giving more choice in that time slot, but longer
download times. To the non-real-time viewer, the download speed makes
absolutely no difference.

See? It's all in perceptions.