[opendtv] Re: Local Content Considered Key to Mobile DTV Adoption

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 19:58:55 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Cable took a different approach at two levels.
>
> 1. They know it is costly to fill up a 24/7
> program grid, and that many time slots will have
> small audiences.
>
> 2. They specifically contract for programming
> based on the concept that it will be run multiple
> times to build the total audience, rather than
> limiting the opportunities to see the programming
> to force people to make an appointment.
>
> This is largely possible because most of the cable
> shows are produced for a small fraction of what
> a network TV episode costs.

But we are talking about a different sort of OTA these days. What goes for
cable should also go for OTA. The only expensive shows aired OTA, and on cable,
are the prime time network shows, and maybe some sports. However OTA is not
limited to transmitting those shows only anymore. Just like cable isn't. With
the greater spectral efficiency of OTA, I just don't understand why we should
assume that the old one-program-per-time-slot prime time limitations still
apply. They don't apply to cable, right?

And there's more.

The broadcast stations are not often owned by networks anymore. Plus, the
broadcast stations pay the networks for content, or so you have explained. So
there is simply no reason for OTA broadcasters to continue their old ways, and
every reason to operate more like MVPDs.

> So Bert, there is no conspiracy here, just a worn
> out business model that was based on scarcity.

Well, glad to hear that.

Now, my issue with the FCC activism is that it's not in their charter to create
business models. They are supposed to be spectrum administrators, not visionary
businessmen. So the mere act of asking stations whether they can share their
spectrum seems like an attempt to force OTA broadcasters to remain mired in
their old NTSC business model. Which the digital transition was supposed to
have changed. They aren't even giving these guys a chance to get it right, so
hungry are they to repurpose the spectrum, for the new broadband cause du jour.

Tom may have it right, that most people would acquiesce happily to a
basic-basic clearQAM tier. (That would be my next favorite step too.) But
honestly, if FOTA TV is forced out of existence by the FCC, I have absolutely
NO reason to believe that cable companies would continue offering that. Why
should they? Where is their basic-basic STB-less competition?