[opendtv] Re: Local Content Considered Key to Mobile DTV Adoption

  • From: "Mark A. Aitken" <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 15:39:29 -0500

I can not/will not speak for all Broadcasters (unlike the President who presumes he can speak for all of us...)...

SOME Broadcasters may still be stuck, but that will begin to change with Mobile DTV out of necessity.

SOME Broadcasters will be delivering content 'files' very much under our control if the FCC does not cut us off at the hips because they happen to think that the wireless carriers are out to help us all out. (separate posting to follow...)

Mark

On 12/16/2009 12:01 PM, Craig Birkmaier wrote:
At 9:30 AM -0600 12/16/09, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Craig Birkmaier wrote:

Even Bert admits that he records this stuff for time shifting
and possibly commercial skipping.

I don't understand the "even" part of your sentence.

I have been saying since always that this notion of "linear" to describe broadcast content has been bogus for decades. Just because transmission is "linear" has not meant that consumption has to be "linear." Not since the 1980s, which is getting to be a very long time now to be reciting this same song.

You are a man ahead of the times Bert...

;-)

But broadcasters are still stuck in a time warp. They still think linear and haven't a clue how to use their spectrum to deliver files instead of appointment TV.

Regards,
Mark A. Aitken
Director, Advanced Technology
===================================

"It is better to keep your mouth
closed and let people think you
are a fool than to open it and
remove all doubt."
<>   ~ Mark Twain ~   <><

"Never express yourself more clearly
than you are able to think."
<>   ~ Niels Bohr ~   <><

“What you see and hear depends a
good deal on where you are standing;
it also depends on what kind of a
person you are”
<>   ~ C. S. Lewis ~   <><

begin:vcard
fn:Mark A. Aitken
n:Aitken;Mark A.
org:Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc.;Engineering & Operations
adr:;;10706 Beaver Dam Road;Cockeysville;MD;21030;USA
email;internet:maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
title:Director of Advanced Technology
tel;work:(410) 568-1535
tel;fax:(410) 568-1580