[opendtv] Re: Local Content Considered Key to Mobile DTV Adoption

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:41:28 -0600

Dan Grimes wrote:

> The question is, what is on ATSC that would make someone want to
> spend money to view it on a handheld device?

Money? Unlike downloads, it's free. If broadcasters charge for it, all bets are
off, of course.

As to linear consumption, I haven't consumed TV in linear mode for decades
(literally). These handhelds could, in principle have built-in storage. And
sure, if broadcasters made all their stuff available online, at the same time
as OTA, having the ATSC receiver would probably be less desirable to these
18-29 year olds that expressed an interest. In that case, the main advantage of
the OTA broadcast would be to remove some of the high bandwidth traffic from
the two-way part of the cellco's network.