[opendtv] Re: Local Content Considered Key to Mobile DTV Adoption

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 11:25:16 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
> At 11:40 AM -0600 12/10/09, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
>> Interesting. Especially the interest among 18-29 year olds.
>>
>> Now let's see how protectionist the cellcos are of their own pay
>> version of TV to cell phones.
>>
>> Nice to see broadcasters directly involved, especially now that the
>> FCC is threatening to yank more spectrum away from them. FWIW, I
>> haven't noticed any big diff to the quality of the main ATSC streams,
>> even though most stations in this market are already transmitting M/H.
>>

> Interesting, but who will produce this local content and how will it
> be delivered?
>
> http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/91582
>
> Apple Launches iPhone Broadcasting
> 12.10.2009
>
> Regards
> Craig

I have never thought people really spent that much time watching local
content, at least as a percent of total video watched.  But maybe that's
simply because I don't and possibly others do. (anybody know?)

Either way, the idea that a local station could set up a web page and/or
phone number where anyone could call in and suddenly be the TV reporter
on the spot kind of strikes me as interesting.  And it could offset the
problem local stations have that they otherwise can't spend a whole lot
of money sending reporters and trucks around to gather local news these
days, assuming phones have the power to transmit decent live streaming
video.

- Tom