[opendtv]

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:55:31 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> Each time I would read glowing reports by Bert and others about
> the next NxtWave chip

As you saw, the "glowing reports" turned out to be true. It just
took this long to get the hardware in Mark Schubin's apartment.

I'll remind you that the original results of a truly better
receiver happened in March 2002, lab version, and around the same
time of year in 2003 in prototype chips. And Wayne Bretl's paper
was at NAB 2004. All this while "some folk" were sitting by
depairing, instead of kicking butt to get these solutions in the
hands of consumers ASAP.

But I do agree with your points completely with respect to
"future proof" STBs. It's a difficult proposition, one that the
PC market HAS NOT addressed. The PC market simply expects people
to buy a new one every 3 years, maybe 4 tops. Fortunately, not
all home appliances work on that model.