[opendtv] Re: Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 11:38:53 -0400

>But without a separate unicast two-way channel, you're back to
>transmitting the ads that are targetted to individual customers
>over the broadcast channel. That's what makes this inefficient.
>Even very low bit rate spam will add up to a lot of bandwidth
>as you increase the number of uniquely targetted ads you
>broadcast, and use of the carousel just compounds the problem.

Too bad you have not been listening, or reading the articles that I
have posted about these concepts. This has nothing to do with tying
up the broadcast channel to send individual messages to individual
users. It is about the ability to target sub-groups of viewers based
on their demographic characteristics. Thus the version of an ad you
see might be optimized for your demographics, as was explained for
the system that has been developed by Visible Worlds.

A better way to think about this is to look at the pipe from the end
of the producer of the messages. The inverse of broadcasting from a
content producers viewpoint would be the need to create a custom
version of that content for every viewer, with the corollary that the
pipe would be filled with massive duplications of the same content
with slight differences. This is both inefficient in terms of the use
of the pipe, and it places a massive burden on the content producer
to create all of these versions.

The reality is that there would be only a few versions of an ad,
driven by the demographic metadata of the targets; the content
producer would define these targets and create the various versions
of the ads needed to serve each of them. At playout additional
customization and personalization could occur. For example, Visible
Worlds adds real time countdowns (3 days left, two days left etc.)
with real-time graphics, which ultimately could be driven by
information in your STB. Thus an ad could be personalized, not by
sending a command to insert "Albert Manfredi here," but rather,
"insert viewers name here." If you programmed your box with
demographic information, the box would pull the right stuff out of
the multiplex to create the customized, localized version - it would
not need a back channel to do this. But with a back channel a TV
station could further customize ads played from your cache for which
most of the content was downloaded to cache via the DTV broadcast
channel.

>It's all a matter of degree, of course. The more individualized
>the ads, the better it is to use a unicast medium for their
>transfer. Over cable, no problem. You have the unicast two-way
>channel right there.

Yup. it is best to think of this as the natural extension of
integrating the broadcast medium with  other two way networks, in
such a way that relationships can be created with individual
viewer/subscribers.