[opendtv] Re: Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 07:42:15 -0400

At 7:56 PM -0700 5/5/04, Kon Wilms wrote:
>  >It is my assumption that it will be possible to assign unique addresses to
>digital media appliances - or any appliance for that matter - in the future.
>I am not sure how this will work with the widespread use of dynamic IP
>addressing as Gary described. I would assume that unique hardware addresses
>will still be needed.
>
>Why do you continue on the tangent that a unique hardware address in the IP
>space is required to identify a device? This is completely nonsensical.
>Please stop.

Please explain.

I am not advocating for unique hardware addresses, although it
appears that you are based on the final paragraph of your message.
All I want to know is how we will be able to communicate with unique
devices via the IP network infrastructure.

As we move to IPV6 will we begin to assign blocks of addresses to
individuals, or will we continue to work though dynamically assigned
addresses and expect DNS servers to sort out the routing to unique
devices?

>  >Or will we be assigned a block of IP addresses at birth, instead of
>Social Security  numbers?
>
>Wait until you are issued your own Government-sponsored implanted RFID tag.

I was only partly being facetious. Implanted IDs will only uniquely
identify individuals, not the devices that they own, and wish to
control via the Internet.

>Until then, use PKI, smartcards, your Intel Pentium ID, or any other
>tamper-proof device or cryptographic algorithm to target receivers.

So bottom line, you are suggesting unique hardware IDs.