[opendtv] Re: Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 10:22:25 -0700

>I can understand how this could happen because of poor control of
addresses by a manufacturer. What I cannot understand is how two
devices located anywhere in the world can share the same MAC address.

Actually it is quite easy. Of the 6 bytes in a mac address, the first 3
represent the manufacturer id. The manufacturer must randomize the last 3
for device rollout. With a range of 3 bytes, there is bound to be
duplication (you can't even roll out a decent amount of receivers without
using up every number). Many manufacturers cut corners in manufacturing and
use a random number generator but do not check against a known list of ids
previously created.

Plus, you can change the MAC address on most boards (datacast receivers are
notorious for allowing you to do this).

So its not so useful for targeting or ensuring data only reaches one
recipient.

Cheers
Kon