[opendtv] Re: Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 07:29:19 -0400

inline ...

John Willkie wrote:

> Gee, an interesting technological exercise.
>
> How is it any better than my getting just about all the news I need in a
> half hour of listening to a commercial all news station?

As I mentioned, on the all news station you have to listen to the
entire loop.  The times when I've watched CNN Headline News I either
wanted a summary or was interested in some breaking event.  So the
random access would be nice on mobile.

> Does it give news that is more timely than live TV or radio news (no)

Yes, see above. 1 minute vs maybe 10-30

> Does it give news that is more detailed than the morning paper/morning web
> site read (no)

Yes, the links.

> Does it give me more detail than KNX-1070 (no)

Yes, see above.

> Does it give a more "niched" news product?  (no)

Past a certain point "niched" products are probably not as suited for
broadcast, as they are narrow.

> What does it give me?  Pictures.  Isn't there a better way to send me
> pictures?

TV is a very good way to send moving pictures.  As both Bert and Kon
have pointed out in various ways, you can't really compete
Broadcasting low bit rate material since it is too easily accessed
using 2 way communication on demand.  Video is about the only thing
that requires large enough bit rates to even worry about these days.
You could effectively get weather or even text headlines even with an
old 300 baud acoustic couple dial-up modem except for the dominating
connect time.

> Does it give me customized news?  Not a chance.

That depends.  When there is enough data in the cache then it is worth
while to customize access at your end.  Your PSIP might help there.

- Tom