[opendtv] Re: Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 16:39:00 -0400

> Doesn't IPV6 deal with these shortcomings?

While IPV6 expands both fields to 48 bits, in many cases it is still
possible to change the MAC address or manually configure it (I don't
think there is anything in the spec that prohibits manufacturers from
making their MAC addresses writable). However in terms of uniqueness,
yes, with IPV6 ever person on the planet could have 40k personal MAC
addresses. But still it is not to say the address could not be
duplicated at manufacturing time. I also don't believe there are any
strict guidelines as to random number generators (the practice for a
GUID which is the same type of concept is to take a random number and
offset it by the date/time and some other variables, thus ensuring
uniqueness (well, that too is debatable)).

If you ask me, the best thing to use for targeting right now is the
processor ID on your Intel CPU, or firmware ids of drives, and
preferably a SHA1 hash of all of the above - but not everyone owns an
Intel. On the other hand, we know Microsoft would rather have us buy
into the trusted computing initiatives with complete and utter
traceability.

Cheers
Kon